Thursday, December 3, 2015

What’s right Now!

Why One Model's Hair Made History at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
uick! What comes to mind when you think of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show? Our guess would be the vision of fit, curvaceous models strutting a glitzy stage in angel wings, million-dollar push-up bras, and bouncy blowouts. Well this year, one model switched things up a bit, rocking everything but the latter. Angolan model Maria Borges paired her vibrant, multicolored wings and intricate bras with a cropped cut, embracing her naturally coarse hair texture. "I told my agent I wanted to walk in the Victoria’s Secret show with my natural hair,” Borges tells our sister site Essence. “I was nervous, but I had to do it. When they said ‘yes’ I didn’t expect it, but I was so happy! And with her brave beauty chops, she made history. The 23-year-old model became the first to walk a runway that embodies bombshell beauty and sex appeal, in a mini afro. Alongside fine-haired models like Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner, Borges' 'fro represented for the curly girls (and short-haired gals!) everywhere. "At this moment precisely, I was looking up to God. I was thanking Him for making my third Victoria's Secret appearance a moment that would help women around the world to embrace their natural beauty," she writes in the caption of a photo of her most memorable moment from the show, which she posted on Instagram just moments ago. See it here. Bravo to Borges for inspiring women to embrace their natural features and for encouraging a shift in the fashion industry's beauty standards in her very own (very special!) way. Encore!

No comments:

Post a Comment