Friday, September 12, 2014

FASHION ADVICE


Rethink Fall Fashion: Find the Perfect Look for Your Taste
For every stunning trend this season, there is an opposite, equally lovely one. Here to prove it are eight gorgeous actresses from TV's fall shows, modeling chic looks that span the fashion spectrum.

City Slicker

Jessica Lucas


Where you'll see her: As intrepid journalist Renee Clemons on the new Fox crime drama Gracepoint, a remake of the popular Brit series Broadchurch.

Trend report: A sleek printed sheath gets even more urban warrior when paired with a graphic coat and sky-high booties, all in an elegant black-and-white palette.

Personal style: For evening, Lucas errs on the conservative side with silhouettes ("I like to leave things to the imagination") but goes all out on color ("I really like the way it looks with my skin tone"). Her everyday go-tos are simple: jeans, flats and tank tops. 

Country Road

Caitlin FitzGerald


Where you'll see her: She plays the long-suffering yet impeccably turned-out housewife Libby Masters on Showtime's Masters of Sex, now in its second season.

Trend report: The buffalo plaid and tartan patterns in these pieces may say "country," but the styling—coat as cape, socks scrunched just so over towering boots—gives the look a high-fashion vibe.

Personal style: "I like to wear up-and-coming and established designers when I get dressed up," says FitzGerald, who favors pieces from Houghton, Thakoon and Jason Wu. But for day, the self-professed tomboy says she's "never met a leather jacket or ankle boot I didn't like."

Fall obsession: "I love a big chunky sweater. My mom [Knitting for Dummies coauthor Pam Allen] is in the knitting world in a big way and owns her own yarn company, so I have a real soft spot for knitwear."

Fashion crushes: "Tilda Swinton is a mad genius, and Cate Blanchett, definitely. They both take risks, but their clothes never wear them. They look at ease all the time and seem really authentic."

Coat, Hilfiger Collection, $790. Dress, L.L. Bean Signature, $139. Socks, Tory Burch. Shoes, DKNY.


Bohemian Rhapsody

Eiza González


Where you'll see her: Remember Salma Hayek's infamous snake-dancing scene in From Dusk Till Dawn? González plays Hayek's character, Santanico Pandemonium, in the TV series based on the 1996 vampire film. Helmed by the movie's director, Robert Rodriguez, the show is launching its second season on the El Rey Network.

Trend report: More is more when it comes to this chic mash-up of textures and prints that's part folkloric, part globe-trotter and all modern.

Personal style: "I tended to go safer when I was younger," says González, who starred in popular telenovelas in her native Mexico before moving to the United States last year. "But now I'm exploring my edgier side—a little sexier, a little more rock 'n' roll."

Fall obsession: "I want a really cool trenchcoat and boots. I love Balmain, Givenchy and Saint Laurent, but I also shop at vintage stores, Urban Outfitters and Free People."

Fashion Crush Miranda Kerr. "I love how she dresses. She's always so casual but chic."

Sweater, Lucky Brand, $149. Shirt, Tory Burch, $325. Pants, Suno, $650. Shoes, Gianvito Rossi.

Good Sport

Tracee Ellis Ross


Where you'll see her: Opposite Anthony Anderson and Laurence Fishburne as Rainbow Johnson, a mother juggling four kids and a career, in the new ABC sitcom Black-ish.

Trend report: The sporty look has upped its game with sleek, polished silhouettes and athletic touches like baseball jacket details and racing stripes.

Personal style: "I don't gravitate toward specific designers. It's more about shapes and fit," says Ross, who wears dresses, wide-leg trousers, sneakers and flats in her downtime.

Fall obsession: None. "I am 41 years old. By this age I've collected a wardrobe and don't need to buy a lot. I wear things I've worn for years. Shoes are the only thing that I switch up."

Fashion crushes: Katharine Hepburn, Solange Knowles and Ross's best friend, Elle fashion director Samira Nasr. "All of these women really dress for themselves and give me the courage to wear what I want. And obviously my mom [Diana Ross] is on that list, too."

Jacket, Greylin, $156. Skirt, Alvin Valley, $375. Necklace, Macy's. Cuff, Mignon Faget. Shoes, Daniele Michetti
Borrowed From The Boys

Katharine McPhee


Where you'll see her: As Paige Dineen, a waitress with a double life, in the upcoming CBS drama Scorpion, about a network of high-IQ crime fighters.

Trend report: Menswear-inspired pinstripes, plaids and tweeds express their feminine side with a silky scarf and stacked heels. Layering makes the look eclectic, not buttoned up.

Personal style: "I gravitate toward eye-catching pieces with hanger appeal," says McPhee. "There are some things that just hang really well, and you know how they'll fit and look. My favorite designers are Phillip Lim, Sandro, Acne, Maison Martin Margiela and Rag & Bone."

Fall obsession: "I'm loving softer colors for fall. I'm not normally a huge color person, but the hues this season tend to be more moody than bright."

Fashion crush: "Kate Moss. She's so classy but edgy and makes everything look effortless."

Coat, COS, $350. Blazer, Massimo Dutti, $275. Top, NYDJ, $88. Pants, Elizabeth and James, $345. Scarf, Paul Smith. Shoes, DKNY.

Sweetness and Light

Analeigh Tipton


Where you'll see her: She plays Dana, a 20-something navigating the New York dating scene, in ABC's upcoming Manhattan Love Story, a Sex and the City–esque comedy with a dash of Ally McBeal. (Get ready for some interior monologues!)

Trend report: Two big runway looks—winter pastels and chunky knits—make a smashing match. Metallic pink stilettos ground the outfit and give the loose, voluminous pieces a sharp touch.

Personal style: "I layer everything I possibly can—dresses with long T-shirts underneath and tights with Socks and Doc Martens," says Tipton. "I have to de-layer for dressier occasions. Now I'm going with an Audrey Hepburn–inspired look: conservative and womanly, yet still fresh."

Fall obsession: "I need a bag! Something as big as a messenger bag but more feminine."

Fashion crush: "Marlon Brando. I think women should try a classic men's look, and he had it pretty down pat."

Sweater, RD Style, $79. Tank, Shoshanna, $198. Skirt, Adeam. Cuff, Giles & Brother. Shoes, Roger Vivier




THANK YOU FOR READING MY BLOG. 

No comments:

Post a Comment