Monday, April 23, 2012

Dimeji Alara: ‘Nigerian fashion is pretentious, loud and unrealistic’



When we encountered stylist Dimeji Alara recently, we weren’t surprised to discover a huge dose of energy, drive and passion locked up in the person behind the name and face. Less than a minute with him and his funny nature became evident.
In this interview, the soft spoken editor of Mania Magazine takes us down a memory lane into his experience as a child and his achievements as an adult.

Tell us briefly, who is Dimeji Alara?
(laughs) So many people ask me that question every time. I’ve told myself, I am not going to answer that question. (laughs) Go and find out who Dimeji is.

There are times when we are reported to be who we really are not. And people go about with their opinion of us. The media does same. That’s why I want to hear your own opinion of who you are.
Well, I’m just me. I’m just the guy trying to make a living doing what I love to do best…

Which is…?
Which is Fashion. (laughs)

What was growing up like for you?
Growing up was fun. I mean I had the opportunity of growing up in different environments. I was born in Paris. I grew up in Paris. I grew up partly in Nigeria too. I’ve also lived in a couple of different countries, so I’ve been able to see so many things. I try to take life not too seriously because I’ve seen a lot in life. I’ve been in different positions and situations both god and bad. I’m not from a rich home. I went through the trouble every Nigerian went through. I don’t regret my life. I have a lovely family, a few lovely friends too.

You studied fashion. This is one area very few guys venture in.  Why did you decide to?
I’ve always tried to stand out from the crowd. It’s what I wanted to do, so I decided to do it. I mean, I don’t have to do things because other people are doing it or because people want to study law, become doctors or professors. I don’t want to put myself into what the society believes is the norm. I wanted to do something and I did it regardless of whether men go into fashion or study fashion or not. It was what I wanted and I did it.

A typical Nigerian parent would have been like ‘Over my dead body’ when there are other professions and careers like being a doctor, an engineer or something they believe is a lot more dignifying. What were your parents’ reaction when you informed them of your decision to do fashion?
My parents are very open-minded and the way I was brought up, is to be able to stand on my own and make decisions for myself. They are always supportive and one thing I learnt from them was to be able to make decisions for myself and it is very important to have that kind of mentality when you are growing up else, you would never be a leader. To be able to lead, you need to be able to make decisions no matter how difficult it is.

So kudos to your parents then for helping you go get it. Don’t you think?
(laughs) Yes, of course.

You being somebody with a lot of exposure as regards fashion. I mean you studied fashion in the university, I’m a little bit curious. Of all areas in fashion, why did you choose Styling?
I think styling chose me actually, I don’t know if i chose styling. Sometimes I even wonder why am I doing it. I love to do it and that’s it. It’s something I love.

And since you started doing it, how has the experience been so far?
It’s been great. It’s been very interesting too. I mean like every other business, It’s very difficult to do business in Nigeria. There are a lot of challenges involved. I mean endless challenges, I don’t even know where to start from but when you are doing something you love, then it’s not work anymore, it’s easier for you to deal with the challenges then.

I’ve always wanted to know what Styling is exactly. Perhaps you could shed light on it. What does Styling entail?
I have a very creative mind. For me, I see Styling very differently from…from maybe how others see it. I see Styling from an artiste’s point of view. For example, when am working on a shoot, let’s say for the magazine, I’m thinking okay, what direction are we looking at? First, you think of a story, you think of the girl, you try to build a story around her and you look at the clothes, how relevant are they? You think of what is relevant in terms of trend, you know, which is secondary. Yeah, then…uhm…(pause) I don’t know how to explain it. Creative stuffs are always very hard to explain.

Now, with your experience as a Stylist, which of all your shoot would you say is your most memorable?
Uhm…there was this shoot i did recently, not out yet. It’s going to be out in the next issue of Mania. I think that’s one of my most memorable. And there was also one we did for the first issue of Mania. I shot it with the lady inside…and that was the first shoot for Mania.

Has there ever been one that you didn’t like?
Oh yes! I mean a lot of times, am very hard with myself. Each time I do something, I always say it’s not good enough, so I try to push myself really hard. Most times, I always feel there’s something missing and I tell myself it could be better.

Now, tell me, how easy do you find it working with women?
Uhm…It’s very easy, you just need to be patient (laughs)

Perhaps I should put it this way. How easy is it for you understanding the woman’s body to be able to help her flaunt it? Is there a strategy you employ to get that done and make it perfect?
It’s about what she wants and also about what I want. If we both agree…then it’s up to the two of us to make it work. I mean it takes the two of us. I mean it takes the stylist and the person being styled. Once the person being styled has objections…then things start getting funny…(laughs)

Has there ever been a time when things got funny?
It always happens. I mean you are dealing with women. It’s how you handle it that’s important. You can’t take things personal with women; you have to know how to find your way out.

Most Stylists claim to have a distinctive personal style, and am sure you do too.
(laughs) Well, if you say so.

So how would you describe your style?
My Style is very simple. I usually don’t go shopping buying clothes. That’s not something I spend on. I wear whatever I have as long as it looks good and is okay. Whether it’s designers or not. I’m really not concerned about those things.

You do have a Styling company.
Yeah

Tell us about it.
It’s Styling Concept which I have put aside for a while, of course I still do Styling jobs but this is a company that would need my proper attention. Now I am putting more attention into Mania, as time goes on when I have more time and energy to cope with two things, then I would. I don’t like to do too many things at the same time. I like to be focused, not do all the styling jobs here and there and at the end, it would come out as crap.

What do you think is the prospect for upcoming Stylists considering the fact that Nigeria is a country where everybody has this idea of I can do it myself or my tailor can help.
But that is gradually changing now.

Interesting. So you think there is a reason for upcoming Stylists to still stick to their guns?
It depends on their reason for going into fashion. If they are going into fashion because it looks glamorous on the outside, then they have a problem. Whatever you do in life, you need to do it for the right reason and not because how glamorous or interesting it looks, because, it’s actually not glamorous.

You really mean that?
It’s not. Believe me, it’s not.

Well, if you said it, then…(laughs) Now, how would you convince me that I need the services of  Stylist.
I don’t have to convince you.

Really?
Yeah. You would realise it when it gets to a point. A lot of our people are beginning to realise that. Nobody needs to tell them. By the time you dress like a frog to an event and then the picture is posted on Bella and everybody is blasting you, then you will know that you definitely need a Stylist. I mean, the internet is also changing so many things. It gives people something to talk about whatever they see. You are a celebrity and you go to an event you think nobody is not looking at you and then the  picture lands on the internet and everybody is…you know, saying stuffs about you….(laughs)

Having worked with so many celebrities, who would you say is that celebrity that really brought your job to limelight?
No celebrity…I won’t say any celebrity made me.

Is there any that made your job appeal to you? One that you worked with and told yourself wow!
I’ve enjoyed working with a lot of people but it’s against my rules to talk about my clients. I’m sure they love their privacy and the people I’ve worked with over and over still…

Like who and who?
(laughs) No I won’t.

Nigeria, as a country is growing and so is her fashion industry. Every Nigerian has suddenly become fashion conscious, following trends so religiously. Now, as somebody who studied, understands and follows fashion, can you forecast the trend in let’s say three years?
What I do is, I look at what is going to happen. What state people are going to be in financially, in terms of the state of the country? It plays a very big role in what colours people wear. You know, the colours you wear, depends on how you feel, how you feel depends on what is happening around you and also what the weather would be like in few months. It’s a matter of looking around you and putting people’s thoughts into consideration. All these things might sound useless but they all play huge factor in what people are wearing. For example, if the economic situation in the country is bad, people don’t want to wear expensive stuffs, they want to buy wearable stuffs, like black pieces which you can wear over and over and not what you would wear once because there are more things to spend money on than clothes. Things like that. It’s very easy to predict when you look at what is happening around you.

So what do you think is going to happen to Nigerian Fashion in the next three years?
The next three years, I can’t say for sure but with the way things are going, but let’s look at it, in the last two years, what are the changes? Did things get better or not?

But everything seems stable now, after the subsidy thing that happened recently, so I guess there is a fair level ground and possibility for predictions.
I can’t see the future. All I can do is predict and hope that it gets better..

Now, tell us about your job as the editor of Mania Magazine.
I do a lot. I edit the magazine, the stories, of course. I style almost all the shoot. I layout the pages, I look through the entire magazine in terms of content. What story goes in? Basically, that is what I do. From marketing to page layout, to styling to editing to writing.

Let’s get a little personal now. Is Dimeji married?
No, am not.

What’s your favourite fashion place in the world?
I told you am not a shopping person.

Somewhere you go to get all your fashion needs.
Buy things for myself?

Maybe or somewhere you would recommend anytime.
Hmm may be Temple Muse or Mango. I think those two.

What’s your favourite fashion accessory?
My favourite fashion accessory…I have this old belt I have owned for years now and it still looks nice. Yeah, that’s my favourite fashion accessory. Actually, my dad gave it to me.

Who is you favourite fashion designer?
I’ve been really really enthralled by the new designers and am very excited with the designs they parade every time. Talk of Ejiro Amos Tafiri, Bridget Awosika and others. They are really very good and I am proud of them.

Who would you like to trade closets with? Home and Abroad.
Hmmmm…I think that would be Carl Lagerback. We don’t really share the same style but I think I would be comfortable trading wardrobe with him. In Nigeria….(thinks) None.

Can you define Nigerian fashion in one word?
Nigerian fashion is…Pretentious, Loud and unrealistic.

Why do you think so?
Most Nigerians are afraid of being themselves, so they wear clothes to lie about their status and cover up for some things. Fashion overseas, is wild and marketable.

What advice do you have for wealthy people who wish to invest in Nigerian fashion?
I would advise them to invest in distribution. There are no distribution networks. Overseas, you find departmental stores everywhere. This is one area that needs to be looked into.

Finally, Dimeji. Be our style guide. A couple just got an invitation to a cocktail. What would you suggest they wear?
I think the man should have on a black tie and the lady, maybe a little black dress.

Just that?
Hmmm…(laughs) Yes, just that.

Alright thank you Dimeji for spending your time with us. Thank you.
You are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment